Sunday, August 29, 2010

About Julia and the Green Frugal Family

I am the mother of four children -- 3 still at home.  Our three youngest are 10 and 4 years old.  (There are two of the latter.)  We have a mix of biological and adopted children.  I have an education both in natural resources and in health care.  I work as a lecturer at a state university.

My environmental values are strong and I try to live a simple, sustainable life with my family.  After a year in Central America for my spouse's work, we came back to the US financial crisis, growing concern about global climate change and more and more financially struggling families.

 My first reaction was to abandon some of our more expensive green practices like buying organic food.  But, I just didn't feel good about eating or feeding my family some of the conventionally grown over-processed foods on the grocery store shelves.  My second reaction was to spend a lot of time worrying about our bank account.  That didn't do much good either.  So, here is my third step -- to marshal all my financial and family resources and figure out what is the best mix of ecological, social and economic sustainability for a green frugal family and to pass that information on to you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment