Sunday, August 29, 2010

Free food

The girls went with some friends today to pick blackberries along some old railroad tracks in the countryside.  The berries are abundant this year, and it seems as the economy gets worse everyone is happy to get them.  A pint sells for $3, so the girls' small yield is worth about $12.  But, free food is free food -- especially free, pesticide-free, wild-gathered food.  The picking and nearby farm provided free entertainment.  Our friends took the girls and provided a little downtime for me and my sprained ankle. 

I also dried tomatoes and made some sauce for the freezer with some cull tomatoes from my friend Kate's farm.  Cull tomatoes (or other food) is too mis-shapen, too small or too blemished to sell.  With a knife and a pot or a knife and a dehydrator, cull tomatoes are just fine though. 

Thursday I made crab apple jelly from our friend Kelly and Russel's house and farm.  Of course jelly is mostly sugar and that wasn't free but it was still fun to use the crab apples.  I dried some in the dehydrator too and I think they will make a nice substitute from cranberries.  They have a sweet, tart flavor. 

Next week I need to check and see if the plums growing wild in a neighborhood alley are ripe yet.  If I can hobble around well enough by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment