Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Book selling

I am a book hoarder.  I love books.  I love to read.  I love to have them covering my many bookshelves.  It has taken a long time to decrease my consumption of books.  I learned to love the library.  That sounds silly, but I used to want to have the books I read on MY shelf.  Anyway, I'm over that.  Now, I'm even over keeping my accumulation.  There are a few ways to get rid of books and make a little money. 

First, become a seller on Amazon.  It is very easy.  You just go to the Amazon site (www.amazon.com for those of you who have been living in a cave for the past decade) and click on set up a seller account.  Amazon lists your books, takes the money, charges a standard fee for your shipping ($3.99) and notifies you if one of your books sells.  They even create an invoice and address label for you to print and send.  I made anywhere from $12.00 to $2.00 on books and I usually made .50 to .25 on shipping.  Not a lot of money, but it pays you to decrease your stuff-load. 

The other way to sell books is to take them to second hand bookstores or even mixed new/used bookstores. Some places ask that you make an appointment or come on particular days.  Other bookstores allow people to come in at any time.  For one local store in town, I know I can drop off a box of books and the owner will credit my account -- but that is because I live in a small town and can just trust the owner.  I also go to Hastings bookstore sometimes to sell books.  Yesterday I took 6 books to Hastings and got a $6.50 credit.  Not so great of a return, but these particular books had been listed on my Amazon account and weren't selling anyway. 

The final tip I have on book selling is that stores will always give you more money in store credit than in cash.  So, if you are a book junkie like me, it is best to take the credit and know that you will use it later. 

Happy off line ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment