Friday, October 15, 2010

Explanation of Sustainability and the Convenience Nemesis

I show this video to my students at the University of Idaho.  It is a very straightforward explanation of our unsustainable consumer culture.  Thought I would share it with everyone:
www.storyofstuff.org

As I find myself falling off the smart consumerism wagon once in a while, this video serves as a good reminder of why we buy (and buy and buy).  I think my biggest nemesis is convenience.  This week and last, I bought the girls snack packs of food for our snack drawer and lunches just out of fatigue.  I know it makes no economic sense to buy little bags of goldfish crackers or little cups of applesauce. And, I know that it is way too much packaging. I do it any way to avoid the 10 extra minutes it would take me to put things in small bags or to dish out a bowl of applesauce.  The work, spend, worry about money cycle has taken hold of me lately.  It's time to sit back a little and re-evaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment